Wahluke Eagles

This blog describes the joys of coaching an AAU basketball team from Mattawa, WA. Our team and town is roughly 90% Mexican. The blog celebrates and describes life in a central Washington town through the eyes of the players and their coaches.

Name:
Location: Mattawa, Washington, United States

I work as a School Psychologist in the Wahluke School District. When I am not coaching I enjoy fishing, reading, and riding my bike.

25 February, 2006

Padrino


Last week after Monday's practice, Eduardo announced that I had to take him home because his parents wanted to talk to me. So we dropped off the other players and headed to his house. On the way I kept badgering Eduardo asking him what his parents wanted. He feigned ignorance till he broke down and said that he was making his First Holy Communion and his parents wanted me to me to be his Godfather.

I said nothing. When we arrived, I waited for his parents. Eduardo told them that he asked me in the car and that I hadn't answered. I looked at his Dad and responded yes with a smile.

I have known Eduardo since he was in kindergarten and I was teaching his cousins. This year, Mr. Martinez and I have watched an energetic fourth grader start to become a skilled player. And more importantly I see a young man taking an important step in a faith that stretched back two thousand years and enter into a mystery that I reverence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home