Wahluke Eagles

This blog describes the joys of coaching an AAU basketball team from Mattawa, WA. Our team and town is roughly 90% Mexican. The blog celebrates and describes life in a central Washington town through the eyes of the players and their coaches.

Name:
Location: Mattawa, Washington, United States

I work as a School Psychologist in the Wahluke School District. When I am not coaching I enjoy fishing, reading, and riding my bike.

14 February, 2007

Tough Choices

Exactly one week after being suspended for academic difficulty, Antonio quit the team. He brought his grades back up but still acted up at practice. Simple disciplinary infractions like a 10 second wall-sit became half hour tantrums and his frustration with his teammates lead to his lack of work in drills.

Juan, Oscar, Gabino, and I had a meeting with him after practice. We stripped him of his office of Captain and also suspended him for one game due to his poor attitude. When asked if he wanted to remain the team, he responded with a flippant "I don't know."

When I drove him home, I met with his dad and told him the news. Antonio's dad was disappointed in Tony's behavior as well. I continued onto to Jesus' house and was watching television when I checked my messages. He left one announcing his decision.

Later in the evening I dropped by as Tony was sure he was quitting. I picked up his uniform and spoke to his father who hoped that Tony would change his mind. As I left, I reminded him that he was choosing to leave us. He disagreed but his little brother reminded him that he who quit.

It is hard to loose a player of his skill level. It is hard to loose a player who was founding member of the team. It is hard to loose a player with whom Juan and I invested a great deal of time and energy. It is a tough decision but Juan and I prefer to win and loose as a team with players who want to work hard and execute the drills. It better to coach with integrity and loose than tolerate a disruptive player in exchange for victory.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tough choices... too bad you aren't coaching GU... Heytvelt could use some tough coaching right about now!

Hope all is well in Mattawa. Jami and I might be stopping through on our way back from Seattle in a couple weeks... got heat?

February 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't mean for that last post to be anonymous... I hate anonymous bloggers.

February 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home